Saturday, November 24, 2012

Unlock Our World with Foursquare


    Foursquare is a location-based check-ins application that launched in 2009. As a location-based application, the platform has evolved since its debut, incorporating restaurant menus, reviews, promoted specials and deals. Foursquare makes it easy for people to post physical location on the Web. But it seems that not everyone is willing to do so.
    I find some people may against such check-in application because of personal privacy. While, I feel comfortable with it, since in Foursquare, we can check-in whenever and wherever we like. If I want to protect my privacy, I won’t check-in in places that I don’t want others know. And I could easily and readily share my experience and locations when I feel I want to let others know. It’s flexible and personal. I newly applied for my Foursquare account, and I checked-in for several times and posted some pictures. This is an interesting experience. Following are some of my posts:





    After having a Foursquare account by myself, I begin to think that what makes people want to use Foursquare for check-in? What's the motivation for users to register where they are in the offline world online? From my own using experience, I would like to say it’s for Serendipity and Connection.
    Firstly, check-in applications such as Foursquare well catered human’s nature of share. When we go to a perfect restaurant or bar; when we have fun with our friends in some interesting place; when we go traveling to some places of historic interest and scenic beauty, we will be eager to share these experiences with others. Foursquare offered people a platform to share their serendipity and their sense of satisfactory. Secondly, as a location-based check-ins application, Foursquare is also integrated with Twitter and Facebook, so if we also publish our check-in to those services. By connecting people with their friends and connecting various forms of social media platforms, Foursquare undoubtedly became many people's favorite social media tool.

    Overall, Foursquare is an online platform and a mobile app that allows us to check in to any location; to share experience and fun with our friends; and to connect with other online platforms. And we ourselves have control over this tool. I will continue to use Foursquare to unlock my world and record my pathway. 

2 comments:

  1. I found Foursquare an interesting tool after reading your posts. By check-in in featured places with relevant pictures, we can not only record our life, but also share with others our experiences. And as you mentioned, we can choose the content to post in Foursquare, and that’s another reason I like it. I also found Foursquare is similar to Yelp, a review and rating social media service. Compared with Yelp, I think Foursquare is more personal and can generate more interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really awesome tool! Can't wait to try

    ReplyDelete